64B16-26.300: Consultant Pharmacist Licensure
PURPOSE AND EFFECT: The Board proposes the rule amendment in order to incorporate a form by reference and make other technical changes.
SUMMARY: A form will be incorporated in the rule and technical changes to the rule text will be made.
SUMMARY OF STATEMENT OF ESTIMATED REGULATORY COSTS: No Statement of Estimated Regulatory Cost was prepared. The Board determined the proposed rule will not have an impact on small business.
Any person who wishes to provide information regarding a statement of estimated regulatory costs, or provide a proposal for a lower cost regulatory alternative must do so in writing within 21 days of this notice.
SPECIFIC AUTHORITY: 465.005, 465.0125 FS.
LAW IMPLEMENTED: 465.0125 FS.
IF REQUESTED WITHIN 21 DAYS OF THE DATE OF THIS NOTICE, A HEARING WILL BE SCHEDULED AND ANNOUNCED IN FAW.
THE PERSON TO BE CONTACTED REGARDING THE PROPOSED RULE IS: Rebecca R. Poston, Executive Director, Board of Pharmacy, 4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin #C04, Tallahassee, Florida 32399-3253
THE FULL TEXT OF THE PROPOSED RULE IS:
64B16-26.300 Consultant Pharmacist Licensure.
(1) No change.
(2) Application for consultant pharmacist licensure shall be made on form DOH-MQA 1109, 02/09, Consultant Pharmacist Application and Information, (2/09), which is hereby incorporated by reference. Contact the Board of Pharmacy at 4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin #C04, Tallahassee, Florida 32399-3254, or (850)488-0595 to request an application or download the application from the board’s website at www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/pharmacy. The application shall be accompanied by a non-refundable applicaion fee.
(2) In order to be licensed as a consultant pharmacist, a person must meet the following requirements:
(a) through (b) No change.
(c) Successfully complete a period of assessment and evaluation under the supervision of a preceptor within one (1) year of completion of the course set forth in paragraph (b) above. This period of assessment and evaluation shall be completed over no more than three (3) consecutive months and shall include at least 40 hours of training in the following practice areas, 60% of which shall occur on-site at an institution that holds a pharmacy permit. The training shall include:
Minimum Skills Required Percent of Time Hours
Minimum of 40 Hours in Maximum of
1. Regimen review, documentation and 60% 24
a. Demonstrate ability to carry out process
and understand documentation functions.
b. Understand and perform drug regimen
review. Communicate findings to
appropriate individuals or groups.
c. The applicant
Consultant pharmacist is responsible
for learning other skills needed to perform in his/her
type of facility where he/she is or will be the
consultant Pharmacist of Record.
2. Facility review. 20% 8
Demonstrate areas that should be evaluated,
documentation, and reporting procedures.
3. Committee and Reports. 5% 2
Review quarterly Quality of Care Committee
minutes and preparation and delivery of
pharmacist quarterly report.
4. Policy and Procedures. 5% 2
Preparation, review, updating Policy
5. Principles of formulary management. 5% 2
Demonstrate ability to manage formulary.
6. Professional Relationships. 5% 2
Knowledge and interaction of facility
administration and professional staff.
(3) In order to act as a preceptor, a person shall:
(a) through (d) No change.
(4) Upon completion of the requirements set forth above, the applicant’s preceptor shall confirm that the applicant’s assessment and evaluation have met the requirements and that the applicant has successfully completed all required assignments under the preceptor’s guidance and supervision.
(5) After licensure a consultant pharmacist’s license shall be renewed biennially upon payment of the fee set forth in Rule 64B16-26.1003, F.A.C., and upon completing twenty-four (24) hours of board approved continuing education based upon the provisions of Rule 64B16-26.302, F.A.C.
(6) The number of hours earned in recertification programs by a consultant pharmacist, if applied to the twenty-four (24) hours required for consultant pharmacist license renewal, may not be used toward the thirty (30) hours of continued professional pharmaceutical education credits as set forth in Rule 64B16-26.103, F.A.C.
(7) An applicant who applies for a consultant pharmacist license after the effective date of this rule shall be required to complete the assessment and evaluation required in paragraph (3) (2)(c) prior to being licensed as a consultant pharmacist.
Specific Authority 465.005, 465.0125 FS. Law Implemented 465.0125 FS. History–New 5-19-72, Revised 4-19-74, Repromulgated 12-18-74, Amended 10-17-79, 4-8-80, 7-29-81, 7-1-83, 4-10-84, 4-30-85, Formerly 21S-1.26, 21S-1.026, Amended 7-31-91, 10-14-91, Formerly 21S-26.300, 61F10-26.300, Amended 9-19-94, 3-28-95, 3-10-96, Formerly 59X-26.300, Amended 5-22-01, 5-5-05, 11-29-06,________.