Division of Emergency Management
Open Application Period for Anticipated 2012 Pre-Disaster Mitigation Grant Program Application Cycle

The Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM) program is a nation-wide competitive grant program that was created to assist State and local governments, including Indian Tribe governments, with the implementation of cost-effective hazard mitigation activities prior to disasters. The intent of this program is to reduce overall risk to people and property, while also minimizing the cost of disaster recovery.

Proposed hazard mitigation projects must primarily focus on natural hazards but also may address hazards caused by manmade forces. Funding is restricted to a maximum Federal share of $3 million per project sub-application. The Federal share will cover 75% of the project cost. Sub-applicants are required to provide the remaining 25% in matching funds. All project submissions must have a Benefit Cost Analysis of 1 or greater.

Eligible Sub-Applicants:

The following entities are eligible to apply for assistance: State-level agencies including State institutions (i.e., State hospitals or universities); Federally-recognized Indian tribal governments; local governments, including State-recognized tribes, authorized tribal organizations, and Alaska Native villages; public colleges and universities; and tribal colleges and universities. Private non-profit (PNP) organizations and private colleges and universities are not eligible Sub-Applicants; however, an eligible, relevant State agency or local governments may as the Sub-Applicant for assistance to benefit the private entity.

Sub-applicants may request up to 10% of the funds requested for their mitigation project sub-application for information dissemination activities (public awareness and education) regarding cost-effective mitigation technologies. These activities may include marketing and outreach (i.e., brochures, videos) and must relate directly to the project sub-application. Any information dissemination activities should be identified as separate line items in the Cost.

Sub-applicants may include a maximum of 5% of the total funds requested (Federal and non-Federal shares) for their project sub-application for management costs to support the project. Sub-applicant cost activities must be consistent with the Office of Management and Budget Circular A-87.

Electronic Submissions

Applicants MUST use the electronic grants (e-Grants) management system to submit PDM grant applications. Only PDM grant applications submitted through the e-Grants system will be accepted by FEMA. In order to log on to the e-Grants system, please go to https://portal.fema.gov/famsVuWeb/home. Click on the New User button and enter the information the system is requesting. Once the registration form is completed, the System will ask for an Access Code. At this time, enter S12. Please email: Quinton Williams, quinton.williams@em.myflorida.com once the registration is completed so that access can be given to create an application. If a community’s delegation of signature authority requires that someone other than the preparer of the application sign off on it, please be aware that a separate registration for that person must be created.

Submission Deadline

In anticipation of the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s 2012 Pre-Disaster Mitigation program application cycle, the State of Florida is accepting Notices of Intent to Participate. The deadline for submitting the Notice of Intents to Participate is Friday, July 8, 2011. The deadline for submitting FY 2012 PDM grant applications to the State of Florida is Wednesday, August 31, 2011 by 4:00 p.m. (EST).

If you are interested in participating in the anticipated 2012 PDM application cycle and obtaining more information about the program and eligible activities, please visit the Division of Emergency Management’s website at http://www.floridadisaster.org/Mitigation/PreDisaster/index.htm.

For questions regarding this information or the Pre-Disaster Mitigation Program, please contact Quinton Williams at quinton.williams@em.myflorida.com or (850)487-1584.